Thursday, January 15, 2009

on being present

Today I'm going to share with you a little more about juggling, but mainly in how it relates to the concept of being present. At first this concept may seem as if it's in opposition to juggling, but I really think it's key.

The temptation when juggling many things is to try to multitask, but I feel that multitasking really leads to feelings of failure. In fact, as I write this post I am multitasking. I'm typing this post and nursing Aiden. But because I'm doing two things at once, I'm not truly present to either one. Therefore, I don't feel as successful at either task as I would if I were to do each task separately.

If I was completely present writing this post, it would probably be more articulate and get my point across better, not to mention the fact that I could probably write it faster. If I were truly present in nursing Aiden, it would add to the amount of quality time spent with him, and it also wouldn't hurt the way it does right now (since I'm twisting to reach the keyboard as he nurses - ouch!).

I came across the concept of being present on another blog (I would link to it, but I can't remember whose blog it was), and it really struck a chord with me. She said that she is trying to truly be present to whatever task she is working on. That really hit me; I'm almost never present at any task. At any given time, I'm doing at least two things at once - nursing Aiden and looking at the computer, reading and watching a movie with the kids, sitting at school and making lists of chores to do later, etc.

Obviously I'm still not good at being present (as evidenced by my prior confession), but it is a concept I'm working on. I really think it will lead me to not only feel more successful at my juggling act but to be more successful at it.

Is this concept new to you? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment